Sunday, March 21, 2010

Press On

"Press with determination in the right direction, and circumstances will be your helpers, not your hindrances." COL 332.

"Into the city of God there will enter nothing that defiles. All who are to be dwellers there will here have become pure in heart. In one who is learning of Jesus, there will be manifest a growing distaste for careless manners, unseemly language, and coarse thought. When Christ abides in the heart, there will be purity and refinement of thought and manner.

But the words of Jesus . . . have a deeper meaning--not merely pure in the sense in which the world understands purity, free from that which is sensual, pure from lust, but true in the hidden purposes and motives of the soul, free from pride and self-seeking, humble, unselfish, childlike."
I picked up these two quotes from a favorite little site of mine today. They really spoke to my heart.
...true in the hidden purposes of the heart.
So foreign to me.
2 Peter 1:4 also comes to mind right now. I can be really bad about keeping goals, especially (sadly, I know) spiritual ones, but for this week, I want to put two new verses to memory. That's not much, I know. But I want to start small.
I use to have a whole chapter in James memorized, besides the usual Psalms 23, etc. But since my mid teens, I have slacked off, and I can tell the difference. My brain isn't as sharp with scripture coming to mind as it use to be.
Time to change that. Way past time. God needs me to do my part.

1 comment: